What are Difference between Memo and Letter
The main difference between a Memo and a Letter is that a Memo is used to pass information to a set of recipients as an internal communication in an organization, and Letter is generally a form of communication from one individual to another.
Memo vs. Letter
The note is a form of communication in a business environment. It is usually intended for internal communication, that is, it is used to convey messages within the organization or business, while a letter is a message that one person sends to another to convey information that he wants the person to receive. A note is generally informal, short, and concise, and directs the letter can be short or long and has many types: thank you letters, personal letters, and business letters.
The note is used to call a meeting or to call a person to action. It has a header that shows where it came from, to whom it is addressed, the date and the subject of the memo, on the other hand, the letter contains more words and information and uses formal language.
A memo can be addressed to one person or to all company people, while the letter deals with a specific topic and is sent to specific people. The memo does not necessarily need a courier to send it since it is intended for a recipient within the organization although memos are also sent to other branches of the organization, and the letter is usually sent through a courier or delivered by a company representative .
|The memo refers to a short message, written in an informal tone for the circulation of information between offices.||The letter is a type of verbal communication, which contains a compressed message, transmitted to the external party to the business.|
|Departments, units, or superior-subordinate of the organization.||Two commercial houses or between the company and the client.|
|Informal and concise formal formal||formal and informative signature|
|A signature is not required on a note.||The sender duly signs a letter.|
|The use of technical jargon and personal pronouns is allowed or allowed.||Simple words are used and written in the third person.|
|one to many twelve||Twelve fifty-nine|
What is a Memo?
A memo is short for Memorandum. It is one of the main means of official communication used in the business world. Its main purpose is to serve as a reminder or to give some instructions. Once again, these circulars are a means of mass communication, that is, to communicate with a large number of people within the organization.
Reasons to write a note
- As a reminder
- Highlight an event or circumstance
- to count an event
- Keep an official record of anything
- pass information or instructions
What is Letter?
A letter is a written communication or message that can be handwritten or printed on paper. It is usually sent to the recipient by mail or postal mail in an envelope, although this is not a requirement as such. Any such message transferred by post is a letter, a written conversation between two parties.
- Formal letter: These letters follow a certain pattern and formality. They remain strictly professional and directly address the issues at hand.
- Informal letters: they are personal letters. They do not need to follow any set pattern or adhere to any formalities.
- Commercial letter: this letter written between commercial correspondents, generally contains commercial information such as quotes, orders, complaints, claims, collection letters, etc.
- Official Letter: This type of letter is written to inform offices, branches, and subordinates of official information.
- Social Letter: A personal letter written on the occasion of a special event is known as a social letter. The letter of courtesy or congratulations, the condolence letter, the invitation letter, etc. They are all social cards.
- Circular Letter: A letter that announces information to a large number of people is a circular letter.
- Employment letters: any letter related to the employment process, such as a letter of incorporation, letter of promotion, letter of application, etc.
- The memo is defined as a short message, written in an informal way to communicate certain information to the members of the organization. On the contrary, letters are understood as a means of verbal communication that contains a brief message addressed to a third party outside the business.
- The use of a memo is internal to the organization, in the sense that it is exchanged between two departments or units or sent by the manager to notify subordinates. In comparison, the use of letters is external, since it is exchanged between two commercial houses or between the company and the client.
- A signature on the memo is not required as it is used within the organization. However, the letter must be duly signed by the sender.
- A memo uses an informal tone and gets straight to the point. On the other hand, letters are very formal and contain a lot of information.
- When it comes to a spread, the letters are longer compared to the note.
- Technical jargon is generally used in memos, as are personal pronouns. Diverse, the lyrics avoid the use of technical jargon and conditions that are not easy to understand. Also, the lyrics are written in the third person.
- Memos are written to inform or direct a department or number of employees on a certain topic and are therefore usually written from a single perspective. Rather, letters are private as they are addressed to a specific party or client.
The memo is used to convey particular information to many people working in the same organization. It has an important role to play in recording daily business activities. On the contrary, letters are considered the best mode of written communication, used to give or seek information to/from a third party.